What is the PE and sport premium for primary schools
Since 2013, the Government have spent millions on improving physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools.
We must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of physical education (PE), physical activity and sport that we offer.
This means that we use the premium to:
- Develop or add to the PE, physical activity and sport activities that your school already offers
- Build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
There are 5 key indicators we use to secure improvements:
The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- The profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport