School Logo

Welcome to Whitstone Community Primary

Learn, Grow and Achieve Together

Google Translate

History of the School

  

Following the establishment of a local

school board in 1874, it was determined

to build a new school in the village. This

Victorian edifice was opened in March 1879, with Ephraim Noye appointed its first headteacher on a salary of £60 per annum.

 

Over the years, attendance steadily increased; though, much to the annoyance of the headteacher, this was affected detrimentally by absences resulting from frequent visits to local fairs, foraging expeditions and help with seasonal farm work. To officially sanction the absences resulting from these numerous and various 'doings', many 'holidays' were granted.

Inevitably, the increase in the number of pupils required additional accommodation and 'temporary' buildings were delivered. In the first decade of the new millennium, these buildings were replaced with a permanent building, providing classrooms, cloakrooms and other multi-purpose rooms.

 

 

In the 1970s, it was proposed that a parent-teacher association should be formed. An early fundraising effort was made for the building of a swimming pool (the Centenary Swimming Pool) in the school grounds to be opened as part of the celebrations of the school's 100th anniversary.

The PTFA continues to make a valuable contribution to the school.

The school garden, which had been cultivated over a period of many decades, continued to be popular, with the county horticultural advisor complimenting the pupils on the state of the garden. As well as donations to different denominational harvest festivals held in the village, surplus produce was sold at school fairs to raise funds.

Handicrafts, including weaving and basketry, were also popular activities.

 
  

 

 

Over the years, there were many visits to places

of local interest and farther afield. On one memorable

occasion, at a Commonwealth Day Service held in Westminster Abbey in the 1990s, some children had the honour of being presented to Her Majesty the Queen.

 

Music has always been an important part of school life - learning to play instruments and participation in choirs – working towards showcases in school and taking part in local concerts.

  

The school hall in its original incarnation as a classroom.

One of the temporary Elliott buildings installed during the 1970s.

 

 

The opening of the school playing field by former teacher Mrs Hewitt.
 
A local train service that escaped the attentions of Dr Beeching.
In the days when Health & Safety... good preparation for service in the Royal Marines.
Whitstone has always been keen to embrace technological innovations.

 

Representatives in the St John's Ambulance First Aid Competition.

Successfully progressing through the county and regional heats,

they were runners-up in the national finals held at London Zoo. 

The school has always taken part in national fundraising events - from

Comic Relief and Children in Need to Jeans for Genes and the St Petroc's Society.

 

 

Top